"You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden. Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven." Matthew 5:14-16
This verse reminds us that each of us is blessed with talents that we are called to share with others. We recognize that there are many in our parish community whose "lights may be hidden" because their disabilities are not understood and their gifts are not recognized. Inclusion Ministry seeks to eliminate these barriers and incorporate all of our brothers and sisters into the life of the parish community, including worship and participation in parish activities and other outreach programs..
The Inclusion Ministry of Church of the Holy Family strives to make all aspects of our life within the parish community accessible. It is our goal that we "open our doors" and welcome all of our sisters and brothers who wish to participate. We focus on the many diverse talents and abilities that we have, rather than on the disability. We are working to achieve this dream in some of the following ways:
* soliciting ideas and suggestions from those who face the barriers (or their families and friends) on ways to make our programs and ministries more accessible
* providing support to other ministries and programs of the parish in their efforts to be more accessible and inclusionary
* educating all members of our parish community about the barriers that currently exist and eliciting their support in eliminating these barriers
* providing support and advocacy to those who choose to be involved in a ministry or program
* coordinating opportunities for caregivers to have some respite
* educating the surrounding community that Church of the Holy Family is working to make its ministries and programs accessible and barrier-free
* providing ASL interpreted masses for those who are Deaf and Hard of Hearing
We have just begun to explore this dream and invite all who are interested to contact us. Whether you are interested in the ministry as a whole, or in a specific area we hope you will join us. Together we can make Church of the Holy Family accessible to all.
ChairPerson: MarySue Owens